Monday, January 7, 2013

The Cardinal. The Fixed. The Mutable.

Sagittarius: This week you will meet a new person who ignites a part of you which has been neglected for some time. Cancer: You feel bogged down by the energies of others. Best to stay inside this week and rebuild your energy. Leo: Be careful of who you outshine. Tensions may arise and uncomfortable moments may present themselves.

Now, I should admit that when I was younger I fell on the study of astrology with downright commitment and dedication. It made the world and the universe glimmer with the thought of cosmic order. I loved the thought of metaphysical energy vibrations coming around in circles and cycles with influence over our natures. More importantly, it presented an answer that helped make sense of the seeming randomness that existed around me. This helped greatly when religion was loosing it's grip on my spiritual center.

Of course, with age I understood that the complexity of human beings cannot be bucketed into such tight, specific, preordained spheres. I certainly felt that these vague forecasts could not possibly apply accurately to the broad group of people born  in the same span of thirty some odd days. The simplicity of it seemed silly, however the more complex notions carried forward with me. Allow me to explain.

The notions of the modes of being began to crystallize as I studied astrology in deeper detail. I'm not speaking of more obvious examples of being more or less passionate, practical, logical or emotional. I'm also not talking about the general way we interface with the world, as in extroverted versus introverted. I think we are all these things at varying degrees during our lives. I'm speaking of the modes each sign can belong to within a given season- cardinal, fixed and mutable.

For those unfamiliar with this these modes, allow me to elaborate.

The first sign of each season is designated as Cardinal. This means that enthusiasm is key. Enthusiasm that makes one spring onto new hobbies, passions, thoughts and emotions just as the beginning of a season displays a drastic turning point in the natural world. This is said to make people of these signs initiators and leaders. The downside is that one may not follow through with these new consuming passions, quickly jumping to another one when it is embraced.

The second signs represent a quality of Fixed, meaning to endure. This trait shows itself in behaviors that are loyal, steadfast and determined. The middle of a season carries the attributes of the weather forward, mostly  unchanging. For instance, the dead of winter is can be brutally cold, especially if you live where I do. The negative association is attributed to an inflexible nature, stubborn to change.

The final signs represent a quality which is Mutable. In a drastic shift from the mode mentioned above, a flexible, adaptable nature is highlighted. I guess the thought is that the end of each season loosens up and gives way to the next. A positive attribute being that people can yield to others, which opens new doors and makes one positioned for new experiences. The annoying part being that too much of this can make one seem flaky or uncommitted.

Allow me to arrive at my point. This isn't a post reaffirming the concept that we are defaulted into some defining characteristic based on our birth. You can believe in astrology to whatever degree you choose, from utter bullshit to ultimate truth. What I'd like to highlight is this- these modes represent ebbs and flows to our changing natures. We are of this world and is feels holistic to say we should be like the seasons. Perhaps being a better person is simply a proper synthesis of these modes during various moments.

Shift, change, embrace, hold tight, let go, change, start new. The quicker we can do this, the richer our lives can be. 
         
      
   

No comments:

Post a Comment